This solution is aimed at reducing fuel consumption and associated costs for railroad operations through data-driven strategies. It includes evaluating the effectiveness of fuel-saving technologies, optimizing locomotive efficiency, and advising on refueling and train handling strategies.
Features and Benefits
- Use data and analytics to reduce fuel consumption.
- Evaluate effectiveness of fuel saving technologies such as rail lubrication.
- Evaluate effectiveness of locomotive energy management systems such as TO.
- Quantify the efficiency of specific locomotive models.
- Optimize horsepower per trailing ton and distributed power.
- Determine the impact of different train builds.
- Determine when, where and how much to refuel (minimize fuel cost).
- Inform train handling strategies.
- Design and assess locomotive engineer incentive programs.
- Achieve ESG goals and Science Based Targets.
- Work effectively with testing organizations such as TTC and SwRI.
- Leverage experts who have run fuel management and conservation efforts at a Class I railroad
Data Curated for Fuel Analysis
- Integrated data from varied data sources
- An “energy management data repository” supporting:
- Reporting, dashboards and visualization
- Ad hoc analyses
- Advanced analytics and modeling
- Data collection and integration strategy
- Controlled testing design and evaluation methodology
- Subject matter expertise to advise on issues
- Application development
- Advanced analytics and machine learning
We have a similar offering for trucking. Check it out here.
- Railroad Greenhouse Gas Expert plugin for ChatGPT
- Blog post: Three Tools to Better Quantify the Savings from Locomotive Fuel Conservation Technologies
- Case Study: Improving Fuel Conservation
- Our methodology for producing a reliable fuel metric
- PDF version of the solution features and components.
- Industry focus page: Transportation
- Related offering: Sustainability